Pontiac, MI - Oakland County authorities warn the community of a phone scam targeting older adults with the caller impersonating Oakland County Health Division employees.
Numerous older adults reported receiving a phone call from the Health Division requesting social security and Medicare numbers for: Medicare billing, a Medicare breach, or because their doctor said they qualified for a knee brace. Oakland County Health Division does not contact residents to request personal or protected information over the phone.
“This scam targets older adults to obtain their sensitive information by impersonating our organization,” said Leigh-Anne Stafford, health officer for Oakland County. “If you receive a call and are unsure if it is a scam, ask the caller for their name, a return phone number and avoid sharing any personal information over the phone. Then report suspicious behavior to authorities.”
Concerned residents can report scam calls by calling the non-emergency phone number at the local police or Sheriff’s Office. Individuals reported receiving a phone call from the phone number 248-858-1280 or the caller ID said Oakland County Health Division.
Avoid becoming a victim of phone scams or identify theft by:
- Making a list of contact information for family members, close friends, health providers or anyone who might call regularly. This will help you know if the call is legitimate.
- Letting a call go to voicemail if you don't recognize a phone number. Scammers rarely leave messages.
- Hanging up if a stranger asks for personal or financial information. If you do answer the phone, it's OK to hang up.
- Remembering that government agencies, send letters about important information. They don't call or send email.
- Not sharing any personal information such as your social security number to anyone over the telephone
If you have questions, contact the Oakland County Health Division or call Nurse on Call at 800-848-5533.
For up-to-date public health information, visit www.oakgov.com/health and follow @publichealthOC on Facebook and Twitter.
For media inquiries only, contact Bill Mullan, media and communications officer at 248-858-1048.