Lansing, MI - On Monday, October 17, 2023, a jury in the 3rd Circuit Court in Wayne County found Stanley Garner, 57, of Detroit guilty in the 2021 murder of two men and the shooting of another, announced Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.
Garner was found guilty on the following charges:
- One Count – Murder, First Degree - a felony that carries a life sentence without the possibility of parole;
- One Count – Murder, Second Degree - punishable by a term up to life in prison;
- One Count – Assault with Intent to Murder - punishable up to life in prison;
- One Count – Felon in Possession - punishable by up to 5 years in prison; and
- Four Counts – Felony Firearm - a two-year felony.
“When our Department is called upon to aid county prosecutors with their often-overwhelming caseloads, I am grateful we are able to provide the support and services to ensure justice is delivered,” said Nessel. “Mr. Garner committed a violent crime, and this verdict secures accountability for his actions.”
On April 7, 2021, Garner was invited into a house on Ward Street in Detroit. Upon entry, he was confronted by one of the occupants and started shooting, killing two men and injuring a third. The case was referred to the Department of Attorney General from the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.
Sentencing has been scheduled for October 30, 2023, at 8:30 am before Judge Kiefer Cox in the 3rd Circuit Court in Wayne County.