Detroit, MI - Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) contract crews will be replacing the Milwaukee Street overpass above I-75 in Detroit this year. Due to its current structural condition, the bridge is being replaced in advance of other major improvements on the future I-94 modernization project in Detroit.
- MDOT is replacing the Milwaukee Street overpass above I-75.
- Removing the overpass requires a weekend closure of I-75 between I-94 and M-8 (Davison Freeway) starting at 9 p.m. Friday, May 29.
- Both directions of I-75 will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, June 1.
The first stage of replacement involves removing the existing structure that was originally constructed in 1969. To accomplish this, both directions of I-75 will be closed between I-94 and M-8 (Davison Freeway) starting at 9 p.m. Friday, May 29. Both directions of I-75 will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, June l.
During the closure, the posted detour for northbound I-75 follows westbound I-94, northbound M-10 (Lodge Freeway), and eastbound M-8 back to northbound I-75. Southbound I-75 traffic will use westbound M-8 to southbound M-10, back to southbound I-75.
The following ramps will close starting at 7 p.m. on Friday:
- Eastbound and westbound M-8 to southbound I-75,
- Holbrook Avenue to southbound I-75,
- Clay Street to southbound I-75,
- Eastbound and westbound I-94 to northbound I-75, and
- Warren Avenue to northbound I-75.
All ramps, except for Holbrook Avenue to southbound I-75, will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, June 1. In addition, crews will close the left lane on southbound I-75 from Clay Street to Piquette Avenue starting at 9 a.m. Friday to mobilize demolition equipment.
All work on this $6.1 million investment is scheduled to be completed in early 2021. Due to the structure's proximity to the I-75/I-94 interchange, this bridge replacement is part of the I-94 modernization project in Detroit that involves rebuilding 7 miles of freeway and replacing more than 60 bridges between Conner Road and I-96.
ESSENTIAL WORK: This road construction project is an essential function. Transportation workers in the field follow Centers for Disease Control guidelines to limit their risk of getting sick.