Detroit, MI - The City of Detroit Department of Public Works is set to wrap up this season's curbside yard waste collection during the weeks of December 21st and December 28th.
This year's yard waste collection began on April 27 and continued for 36 weeks. Yard waste collection will resume again in Spring 2021.
The department would like to remind residents to please continue following city guidelines regarding yard waste, bulk collection and illegal dumping. Residents must adhere to the following guidelines to ensure collection will be picked up on the scheduled pickup date and to prevent being ticketed:
- Residents can place grass clippings, leaves, and small twigs that are no more than two inches in diameter in biodegradable paper bags on their bi-monthly scheduled bulk collection day.
- Branches and twigs that are up to four feet in length and no more than four inches in diameter, should be bundled and tied securely and placed at the curbline. (Please note, individual bundles should not weigh more than 60 pounds.)
- When placing bagged yard waste at the curb, it must be at least six feet from the Courville container or in a personal garbage can that is clearly labeled "yard waste" on two sides of the container.
- The City’s contractors, Advanced Disposal and GFL Environmental, will not collect yard waste in plastic bags.
- If yard waste must be disposed of immediately, residents are encouraged to take their yard waste to any of the free drop-off locations below:
LOCATION HOURS OF OPERATION
Southfield Yard, 12255 Southfield Service Drive Monday - Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Davison Yard, 8221 W. Davison Monday - Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
J. Fons Transfer Station, 6451 E. McNichols Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m (Closed 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.) Saturday, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Residents can find their yard waste collection date by visiting detroitmi.gov and typing their address into the "My Home Info" search field.
For additional information about collection schedules or to report concerns, residents should call their assigned contractor:
East and Southwest Detroit residents should call GFL Environmental at (844) 464-3587.
Westside residents should call Advanced Disposal at (844) 233-8764.
Additionally, residents can sign up to receive weekly reminders about trash, bulk and recycling collection by subscribing to the free DPW text messaging service. Residents can text their street address to 313-800-7905 to enroll.