Mt. Clemens, MI - The Macomb County Office of Senior Services is urgently seeking volunteers for its Meals on Wheels program. Locations in which volunteers are needed include Richmond, Lenox, Memphis, Ray Township, Armada and New Haven.
“We currently have seniors in the north end of the County who need meals but are on a waiting list due to a lack of volunteers that can make deliveries,” said Sheila Coté, director, Senior Services. “So we are asking for our community to help support our seniors.”
Currently, the Office of Senior Services oversees 84 routes for the Meals on Wheels program, and each of those routes needs to be filled by a volunteer every day. This requires hundreds of volunteers to ensure all 1,700 seniors served by the program receive their meal.
But more support is needed and the office is asking members of the community to sign up as volunteers and serve their local neighborhoods. Individuals interested in helping can apply today through the Office of Senior Services at macombgov.org/seniors (select “volunteer”). Duties will include:
- Completing a new volunteer orientation
- Delivering meals two times per month along routes that take approximately 60 minutes to complete
- Routes are driven Monday through Friday at lunchtime (generally delivered between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.)
- Routes can be located close to a volunteer's home or work
- Delivering holiday meals on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas, while Emergency Preparedness Packs are delivered twice a year on Saturdays
Volunteers must also pass a background check, have their own vehicle, a valid driver's license and carry automobile insurance. Mileage reimbursement is offered.Individuals with questions can email