Pontiac, MI - Oakland County Executive Dave Coulter has appointed Charlotte Fisher as the first director of the Department of Public Communications. The Board of Commissioners recently created the department to enable county administration to integrate communication and community engagement functions across the county.
“Charlotte is a veteran marketing and communications professional whose experience will be vital in helping us inform Oakland County’s employees and residents about our strategic plans and our priorities for the future,” Coulter said. “With her leadership, we will be working even more collaboratively and efficiently to elevate communication and community engagement with residents, businesses, communities, and more.”
Fisher comes to the county after serving as the vice president of marketing and communications for the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation. There, she was responsible for the organization’s brand identity, media relations, employee engagement, stakeholder relations, digital media, thought leadership, sponsorships and corporate reputation. She worked closely with the City of Detroit on initiatives to drive Detroit's value proposition and ensure accessibility to economic growth for all residents.
Fisher has extensive experience in marketing and communications, having worked for General Motors and Ford in the U.S. and Asia, as well as managing her own agency. She began her career as a print and broadcast journalist, and has earned recognition for writing and organizational communication.
Fisher has a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Michigan State University and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Michigan. She lives in Pleasant Ridge with her longtime partner.
The Oakland County Department of Public Communications has five divisions:
- Community Engagement (Ashley McBride-Braswell, community engagement manager), which connects the county with residents, elected officials, non-profits and business organizations;
- Creative Operations (Pam Tremble, creative operations officer), which manages graphic design and multimedia production;
- Marketing & Communications (Kaitlin Keeler, marketing & communications officer), which oversees digital marketing and social media;
- Strategic Communication (Kathy Gray, senior communication advisor), which develops internal and external newsletters, emails, speeches and other communications;
- Media Relations (Bill Mullan, public information officer), which handles all news media matters for the county executive and county executive departments.