Mt. Clemens, MI - The Macomb County Office of Senior Services has issued an urgent request for volunteers able to work for its Meals on Wheels program.
The request, which comes ahead of the holiday season, is in response to a growing waitlist of individuals needing delivery throughout the County.
“We currently have a waiting list for seniors who need meals, especially for those who live in the north end of the County,” said Director Sheila Cote. “We are asking for our community to help support our seniors by delivering meals.”
Locations in which volunteers are needed include Richmond, Lenox, Memphis, Ray Township, Armada and New Haven. Other communities that need volunteers include Clinton Township, Harrison Township, Warren and Sterling Heights.
“I can’t think of a better way to give back during the holiday season,” said Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel. “Volunteering with Meals on Wheels is an incredible way to get involved and make a difference in the lives of seniors in need.”
Currently, the Office of Senior Services oversees 84 routes for the Meals on Wheels program, and each of those routes needs to be filled by a volunteer every day. This requires hundreds of volunteers to ensure all 1,700 seniors served by the program receive their meal.
But more support is needed and the office is asking members of the community to sign up as volunteers. Individuals interested in helping can apply today through the Office of Senior Services at www.macombgov.org/departments/senior-services/volunteer. Duties will include:
Completing a new volunteer orientation
- Delivering meals two times per month along routes that take approximately 60 minutes to complete
- Routes are driven Monday through Friday at lunchtime (generally delivered between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.)
- Routes can be located close to a volunteer's home or work
- Delivering holiday meals on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas, while Emergency Preparedness Packs are delivered twice a year on Saturdays
- Volunteers must also pass a background check, have their own vehicle, a valid driver's license and carry automobile insurance. Mileage reimbursement is offered.
Individuals with questions can email