Lansing, MI - Jessica Struhar, 26, of Macomb County was arraigned last week in the 42nd District Court in Romeo on one count each of 2nd degree Vulnerable Adult Abuse and Intentionally Placing False Information in a Medical Record, announced Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel. Each count is a four-year felony.
The Department of Attorney General alleges that during Struhar’s employment in 2021 as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) at Medilodge of Richmond, a skilled nursing facility, she ignored multiple standing orders in relation to a 58-year-old resident’s plan of care during mealtime. Her alleged neglect led to a choking incident at the facility, ultimately resulting in the death of the resident. Additionally, CNA Struhar is alleged to have made several false medical records entries about the victim’s care while he was receiving life-saving care from EMS and hospital personnel.
“The overwhelming majority of those who provide long-term care in Michigan do so with integrity and respect for their important role,” said Nessel. “But when there is a serious breach in the responsibility entrusted to them, there are criminal consequences, and my office will seek accountability.”
Struhar was arraigned on Friday October 6th before Judge Jennifer Andary. She is next due in court for a Probable Cause Conference on October 17th.
The Department of Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud Division receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $5,196,188 for the fiscal year 2023. The remaining 25% percent, totaling $1,732,061, is funded by the State of Michigan.
Please note: A criminal charge is merely an allegation, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.